Warum lernt man Deutsch? (Why Learn German?)
If you can speak three languages, you're trilingual.
If you can speak two languages, you're bilingual.
If you can speak only one language, you're American.
How many languages do you speak?
German Language Facts
- German is the official language of four countries: Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein.
- German is the second language of many countries in Europe: Denmark, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania, Sweden, and parts of Russia.
- German is the language of science:
- German is the language of music:
- German is one of the languages of the European Union (EU).
- German is one of the languages spoken at the United Nations (UN).
- German is the language of books: 18% of the world's books are published in German.
- German is one of the languages used at many conferences throughout Europe, such as the European Security Conferences, throughout Europe.
Gutenberg Bible, Lenox Copy, New York Public Library, 2009. Pic 01 by NYC Wanderer (Kevin Eng) - originally posted to Flickr as Gutenberg Bible. [CC BY 2.0] via Wikimedia Commons.